Sunday, October 15, 2006

Testing...

The last two weeks, we've talked about testing and spent some time thinking about how and why God seems to test us. We talked about how we are supposed to allow our painful times to bring perseverance in the midst of suffering and discussed how hard those concepts are. Our two character studies were Abraham (call to sacrifice Isaac) and then Adam (temptation to eat from the forbidden tree).

So, I've been thinking about being tested quite a lot lately. I hit on something in John Ortberg's The Life You've Always Wanted which has helped me be convinced of what we discussed in group.

Ortberg writes:
"A test is a difficult experience through which a person's true values, commitments, and beliefs are revealed. Test became a very important word in the Old Testament, and the way it is used there reveals something about how endurance develops.
1. It is used only in reference to people of God, never to heathen nations
2. It is applied only to people of faith, never to the ungodly.

Testing is reserved for those in a convenant relationship with God. Even though it is painful, testing in an act of love. Suffering serves to test our faith...


He continues...
"Surely we will experience suffering of one sort or another. Yet the question remains: How will we run the race? Will we finish well? Will we keep the faith? We do not accomplish this from sheer strength of will. The reason we can trust God is that he understands what it is to walk in darkness. One message of the Cross is that God chooses not to stand apart from our suffering. He is not unmoved by the pain of the creatures he loves. He embraces that pain and suffers with us."


I don't know about you, but this encourages me! I guess I don't know who this is going out to besides myself right now, but stay strong! God is near!

No comments: