Sunday, July 09, 2006

A New Definition of Success?

"There is a vitality, alife-force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action. And because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique.
And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost.
It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expression.
It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open...Whether you choose to take an art class, keep a journal, record your dreams, dance your story, or live each day from your own creative source, above all else, keep the channel open!" - Martha Graham
I have been thinking about the differences between worldy and spiritual success.
Here is the dictionary's definition of success:
suc·cess ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-ss)n.

1. The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted

2. The gaining of fame or prosperity. The extent of such gain.
Here is, quite possibly, the Biblical definition of success:
suc·cess ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-ss)
Romans 12:6-8 (NIV) - We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
Is spiritual success putting in practice our Godly given talents? Is it just doing what He calls us to do?
One reason I love the above Martha Graham quote above is the part that states that "it is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions." I see this same sentiment in Romans 12, for it is not about reaching a measure of worthiness. It isn't about comparing your gifts to see if they are paramount. It is just about action.
Graham also talks about "keeping the channel open." Personally, I see this channel as my relationship with God. It is about keeping the lines of communication open, learning about Him, and cultivating a passion, a thirst to know Him better. It is through this connection that we will learn what we are called to do, as well as have continued strength and courage to keep on the course.
All for His glory.
And using our personal talents to glorify Him sounds pretty successful to me.

1 comment:

Papillon said...

This is so good Kaarin! I love the way you put the two definitions side by side. I am struck by the fact that the world's definition says nothing about how we feel as we "achieve" or "gain". But look at the Scripture-- 'generously', 'cheerfully'... The thought of the freedom to 'dance my story' if that is what I feel I am gifted and talented by God to do fills me with such joy!