Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Power of the Mind

Through the past series of sermons and our summer discussions in group, the idea of renewing my mind in Christ Jesus and the implications it has on my ability to be a woman of faith has taken on a greater understanding for me. Not that it was a foreign concept previously, but it's a concept that I am choosing to no longer ignore. The devotional my running group is going through is titled "The Battlefield of the Mind". This is exactly where my battle begins. Everything I do and have accomplished in my life has been a mental decision or frame of mind that I have placed myself in in order to succeed. It should be the same with my faith. In past years my Christian faith was stagnant. I wasn't thinking about what I was doing nor was I practicing spiritual disciplines.

In this week's sermon, Dick Foth referenced that we are in a race! It just hit home with me. Back in my "glory days" (yes I'm so old!) of swimming I was as mentally tough as they came. I was known as a "racer" on my team. Put me in the pressure spot and I would perform. Even though I loved to race I hated practicing! It was so boring to me but without the hours put in and the physical and mental preparation, I would have never been successful. With my faith I feel like it's the same thing. Without the mental preparation of spending time with God, reading His word, praying and knowing His heart, learning from other Christians, I'm not ready for this race!

I want my faith to be in shape and ready to perform when an opportunity arises. I want my mind to be constantly renewed so that I'm moving forward. After all, I've never heard of winning a race by standing still.

No comments: